Sometimes negative thoughts just pop into our mind and we can’t avoid negative thinking entirely. When this happens, we must be aware, so that we immediately recognize when we are thinking negatively.
It would be a good strategy to avoid negative thinking, though, in many cases, it is easier said than done.
Here are few techniques:
- Try to be aware of your thoughts. Most often, one thinks in an automatic way, hardly aware of what he or she are thinking. If you strive to become aware of your thoughts, you will know when you are thinking negatively, and therefore, would be in a better position to avoid them.
2. When catching yourself thinking negatively, consciously, try to think of something else, something positive and uplifting. Choose to watch happy and funny movies, instead of movies about disasters and unhappiness.
3. Think often about the goods things you have in your life, and less about the bad things. Look at the filled part of the glass, not at the empty part, even if the empty is greater than the full.
4. Align your thinking with your actions. When doing something, focus on it. In this way, you will not make a place for negative thinking.
5. Sometimes, during the day, visualize yourself doing something you love doing, like walking or sitting on the beach, visiting a beautiful place, or being in the company of people you love. You may also think about happy events or success you had recently. All of these thoughts are positive ways to help you avoid negative thinking.
6. Be aware that sometimes, problems and difficulties are blown out of proportions. Often, they are minor problems and difficulties not worth your time and energy. Having this point of view can help you avoid negative thinking, when facing problems or difficulties.
7. If negative thoughts persist, write them down, and analyze them to see if there is any truth in them.
8. Don’t fight the thoughts you don’t want or don’t like. If you fight them, they become stronger. A better approach would be treating them with detachment and lack of interest.
9. Surround yourself with positive people.
Transform Your Life Today by Eliminating Your Negative Thoughts!
Disclosure: Some articles on this site may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, The Pinay Goal Digger may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.